Subcategory: Email Clients
Platform: Linux, UNIX-like
Programing language: Python
First release: 1998
getmail – a mail retriever designed to allow you to get your mail from one or more mail accounts on various mail servers to your local machine for reading with a minimum of fuss. getmail is designed to be secure, flexible, reliable, and easy-to-use. getmail is designed to replace other mail retrievers such as fetchmail.
– simple to install, configure, and use
– retrieve virtually any mail
– support for accessing mailboxes with the following protocols: POP3, POP3-over-SSL, IMAP4, IMAP4-over-SSL, SDPS (Demon UK’s extensions to POP3)
– support for message filtering, classification, and annotation by external programs like spam filters and anti-virus programs
– support for delivering messages to different destinations based on the message recipient
– written in Python, and therefore easy to extend or customize
The project developer is Charles Cazabon.