Subcategory: Web browsers
Platform: Android, Linux, OS X, Windows, Portable
First release: September 18, 2008
Users have tabs browsing mechanism, a function of pinning and moving tabs between multiple windows, a built-in file download manager, a pop-up blocker or a convenient bar for translating websites.
Some features of Google Chrome have been removed from Iron:
– RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google
– Google search access on startup for users with Google as default search
– Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
– Google automatic updater
– DNS pre-fetching
– Automatic address bar search suggestions
– Opt-in sending of both browser usage statistics and crash information to Google
– Google Native Client
A few features have been added to:
– An ad blocker
– A user agent switcher
– Opt-in blocking of other background communications, such as extension, GPU blacklist, and certificate revocation updates
– Increased number of recent page thumbnails shown on the New Tab page
As with Google Chrome, each tab runs in a separate process and is isolated from the rest of the browser. The extensions and plugins also work in a similar way. SRWare Iron also offers an Incognito mode, which lets users safely browse pages on which tracking scripts and cookies will not work.
The source code is not available, so looks like the Iron is a closed source application.