Category: Network, Office
Subcategory: Web browsers, Email Clients, IRC Clients, HTML Editors
Platform: Linux, OS X, Windows
License: GPL, LGPL, MPL
First release: January 30, 2006
SeaMonkey – a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite. Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates as well as new features and improvements to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.
SeaMonkey is built on the open source Mozilla Gecko engine, the same code which underlies the highly successful siblings Firefox and Thunderbird. SeaMonkey benefits from the cross-fertilization with these other projects, by gaining (and contributing) new features and the ongoing security updates which are a modern necessity. The Mozilla Foundation provides hosting and legal backing for the SeaMonkey Project.
SeaMonkey is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite, based on the same source code, which itself grew out of Netscape Communicator and formed the base of Netscape 6 and Netscape 7.
The SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite is composed of:
– The Internet browser at the core of the SeaMonkey suite uses the same rendering engine and application platform as its sibling Mozilla Firefox, with popular features like tabbed browsing, feed detection, popup blocking, smart location bar, find as you type and a lot of other functionality for a smooth web experience.
– SeaMonkey Mail and Newsgroups client shares lots of code with Mozilla Thunderbird and features adaptive Junk mail filtering, tags and mail views, web feeds reading, tabbed messaging, multiple accounts, S/MIME, address books with LDAP support and is ready for both private and corporate use.
– An easy-to-use HTML Editor
– The ChatZilla IRC chat application
– SeaMonkey can be extended with numerous add-ons that provide additional functionality and customization for a complete Internet experience.