Subcategory: RSS Readers
Platform: BSD, Cygwin, Linux, OS X, Solaris, UNIX-like
First release: 2004
Snownews – a command-line RSS feed reader. It is designed to be simple and lightweight, and integrates well with other command-line tools, for both generating and filtering the feeds it reads. Snownews runs on almost anything Unix (and will even build with Cygwin).
– Runs on Linux, BSD, OS X (Darwin), Solaris and probably many more Unices. Yes, even works under Cygwin
– Fast and very resource friendly
– Builtin HTTP client will follow server redirects and update feed URLs that point to permanent redirects (301) automatically
– Understands “Not-Modified” (304) server replies and handles gzip compression
– Uses local cache for minimal network traffic
– Supports HTTP proxy
– Supports HTTP authentication (basic and digest methods)
– Supports cookies
– A help menu available throughout the program
– Few dependencies on external libraries; ncurses and libxml2
– Import feature for OPML subscription lists
– Fully customizable key bindings of all program functions
– Type Ahead Find for quick and easy navigation
– Color support
– Extensible via plugins
– Feed categories and many other useful features
Main program code and maintainer is Oliver Feiler.
The latest version of Snownews 1.5.12 was released in 2009.