Subcategory: Email Clients
Platform: BSD, Linux, OS X, UNIX-like, Windows
License: GPL, LGPL
Programing language: C, GTK+
First release: January 1, 2000
Sylpheed – a simple, lightweight but featureful, and easy-to-use e-mail client which provides intuitive user-interface. Sylpheed is also designed for keyboard-oriented operation, so Sylpheed can be widely used from beginners to power users.
The e-mail client runs on many systems such as Windows, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and other Unix-like systems and uses GTK+ GUI toolkit. The newest version of Sylpheed works with GTK+ 2.4 or later (2.6 or later is recommended).
Main features are:
– Simple, beautiful, and well-polished user interface
– Comfortable operationality which is built in detail
– Well-organized, easy-to-understand configuration
– Lightweight operation
– High reliability with one-mail-corresponding-to-one-file format
– Extensibility by plug-in faculty
– Powerful filtering and search
– Junk mail control
– Security features (GnuPG, SSL/TLSv1)
– Various protocols support
– Internationalization and Multilingualization support
– High-level Japanese processing
– Flexible cooperation with external commands
Sylpheed is a free software distributed under the GNU GPL (the library part is GNU LGPL). You can freely use, modify and redistribute it under the license.
The project developer is Yamamoto Hiroyuki.