Subcategory: Instant Messengers
Platform: BSD, Linux, OS X
Programing language: C
First release: June 7, 2005
MCabber – a small console based Jabber/XMPP client. MCabber includes features such as SASL/SSL/TLS support, MUC (Multi-User Chat) support, history logging, command completion, OpenPGP encryption, OTR (Off-the-Record Messaging) support, dynamic modules and external action triggers.
MCabber is released under the GNU GPL, and has been tested on GNU/Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Cygwin.
Some features of mcabber:
– SASL/SSL/TLS support.
– MUC support (Multi-User Chat).
– PGP, OTR support
– Chat States support (typing notifications)
– History logging: If enabled (see the CONFIGURATION FILE section), mcabber can save discussions to text history log files.
– Commands completion: If possible, mcabber will try to complete your command line if you hit the Tab key.
– Input line history: Any message or command entered is in the input line history and can be reused easily.
– External actions: Some events (like receiving a message) can trigger an external action such as a shell script if you enable it in your configuration file. A sample events script (“eventcmd”) is provided with mcabber source code, in the contrib directory.
– Modules: mcabber can load modules (a.k.a. plugins) at runtime that extend its features.