Subcategory: VoIP Clients, IM
Platform: Android, iOS, Web client
License: AGPL, MIT
Programing language: C, Objective-C, Java
First release: December 2012
Threema – a secure messenger which keeps your data out of the hands of hackers, corporations, and governments. Threema can be used completely anonymously, allows to make end-to-end encrypted voice and video calls, and offers every feature one would expect from a state-of-the-art instant messenger. With Threema Web, you can also use Threema from your Desktop.
– Text and Voice Messages – Quickly and conveniently send text messages. If you don’t have the time to type, voice messages come in handy.
– Groups and Distribution Lists – Groups and distribution lists allow to send messages to multiple recipients at once. Groups are managed in a strictly decentralized manner. Except the group members themselves, no one – not even Threema – knows who is member of a group.
– Threema Web: Conveniently Chat from the Desktop – Thanks to Threema Web, chatting from the desktop is just as secure as using the Threema app on your phone. You have full access to your entire chat history as well as all contacts and media files. Threema Web is open source.
– Share Files, Media, and Locations – Use Threema to send any type of file. Just like text messages, files are end-to-end encrypted, of course.
– Handy Poll Feature – Create polls in no time to gather the other group members’ opinions in an efficient manner.
– Voice and Video Calls – Place calls without revealing your phone number. Threema calls are end-to-end encrypted and thus tap-proof. They impress with crystal-clear voice quality and brilliant video quality.
Threema is developed by the Swiss company Threema GmbH.