Subcategory: IRC Clients
Platform: BSD, Hurd, Linux, OS X, Windows
Programing language: C
First release: June 26, 2003
WeeChat – a fast, light and extensible chat client, with a text-based user interface.
– modular: a lightweight core with optional plugins
– multi-protocols architecture (mainly IRC)
– multi-platforms: Linux, Unix, BSD, GNU Hurd, Mac OS X and Windows (Bash/Ubuntu and Cygwin).
– fully documented and translated into several languages
– a free program released under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3
– an active project with a large community for scripts.
WeeChat is designed to be light and extensible: a lightweight core with optional plugins.
Plugins and scripts can be dynamically loaded and unloaded at any time.
IRC plugin implements the protocol as described in the RFCs 1459 and 2812.
External interfaces (graphical or text) can connect to a running WeeChat.
The project developer is Sébastien Helleu.